Mar 17, 2010

Vitamin Smoothies

I've been wanting to find a good quality, affordable vitamin that my kids could take. Most children's vitamins contain dye and sweeteners that I don't want my kids eating. Good children's vitamins do exist, but with five kids they get pretty pricey. I was reading The Bulk herb Store newsletter and saw their Daily Boost Herba-Smoothie. I thought it was a great idea but wasn't sure it would work for us. We don't have access to raw dairy in Wyoming and I'm not about to feed my kids ultra pasteurized-homogenized milk from the store. After thinking about it for a few days I decided to start experimenting with smoothie recipes to see if I could come up with a non-dairy smoothie. I also wanted our smoothie to use less berries than the Bulk herb Store recipe since berries are so expensive. After quite a few not so good smoothies I have two recipes that my kids and husband like, and gladly drink every morning.

Orange Julius Herb Smoothie

3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
1 cup water
1/2 frozen banana
1 tablespoon coconut milk
1 teaspoon powdered herb mix
*1 tablespoon water from lacto-fermented veggies

Blend all ingredients in blender and serve

Strawberry Banana Smoothie

1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon coconut milk
1 teaspoon powdered herb mix
1-2 frozen strawberries
1/2 frozen banana
*1 tablespoon water from lacto-fermented veggies

Blend all ingredients in blender and serve.

The lacto-fermented veggie water is optional but add natural probiotics to your smoothie.

You can use any of the herb mixes the Bulk Herb Store sells or make your own. I wanted herbs that would supply calcium and other minerals, be good for my husbands heart, give us an energy boost and help with cleansing and detoxing. I decided to use the same mix of herbs as The Bulk Herb Store, ginkgo, siberian ginseng, oatstraw, bilberry fruit, hawthorn, burdock root, and horsetail plus I added some rosehips for extra vitamin C. We enjoy our smoothie every morning and I love knowing my kids are getting a yummy, natural vitamin shake.

No comments:

Post a Comment