Mar 12, 2010

Tummy Calmer

Even the healthiest, breast-fed only baby gets an occasional tummy ache. When my babies have a tummy ache, the best natural soother I’ve found is a homemade catnip/fennel tincture. I was scared to start making my own tinctures. It sounded difficult and expensive. It turned out to be simple, inexpensive and pretty fun. Here’s how I make ‘Tummy Calm” for my little ones.

You will need

1 pint-sized jar

1/4 cup dried catnip

1/4 cup fennel

hot water

glycerin

crockpot

dishcloth

Put the catnip and fennel into the pint jar. Cover with just enough water to wet the herbs. Fill the jar with glycerin leaving one inch of head space. Stir well to get out any bubbles. Place the dishcloth in the crockpot and put the jar on top. Fill the crockpot with water making sure not to completely cover the jar. You don’t want any water getting into the tincture. Turn the crockpot on low, leave for three days or until you can really smell the herbs. Make sure to keep plenty of water in the crock pot and shake or stir the herbs daily. After three days cool and strain the tincture. Store in a cool dry place for up to one year.

I use a quarter to a half teaspoon for a baby as needed. An older child usually needs more. Both the fennel and the glycerin are sweet and my babies seemed to like the taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment