Apr 17, 2010

Mac and Cheese

One of our family traditions is letting the birthday child choose a special meal for the day. My son is turning six (already?!) and requested macaroni and cheese for his birthday dinner. What kid doesn't love macaroni and cheese?! He also requested a very complicated, three layer, vanilla and chocolate cake, decorated with special colors and designs. Sadly I had to tell him I'm not a cake decorator but thankfully Betty Crocker makes a gluten-free white cake mix that's super easy!

I can at least make the mac and cheese he requested though. I first had this recipe when I was a teenager, baby sitting for a friend of the family. I loved how easy and tasty her recipe was. My kids have always enjoyed it, and it easily becomes gluten-free by using rice noodles and a gluten-free sour cream and cottage cheese. Both sour cream and cottage cheese can contain gluten but Daisy according to their web site is safe.



Mac and Cheese

Mix together
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup cottage cheese
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
3/4 t salt
1 egg
4 cups cooked rice  noodles (about two cups uncooked)

Mix above ingredients  and bake in  a 9x13 pan at 350 for 35 minutes. Yummy!

Sometimes I make huge batches and freeze in 9x13 pans. I pop them in the oven still frozen and bake about 1 1/2 hrs or until set.

No comments:

Post a Comment